<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, December 09, 2005

MANY YEARS AGO I had an Epson Stylus printer. Boy, was that output beautiful -- sharpness and color straight from God. But I had to switch back to an old reliable Hewlett-Packard model, because the Epson had a balky, horribly designed, gravity-dependent paper feed. The HP feed was mechanical, logical and sweet.

For some reason HP changed its feed strategy, and now most models (or at least most models I could find) have scrapped the old "paper tray" concept in favor of a single tray for both input and output. It's hard to tell whether a sheet of paper is coming or going, and -- as with the Epson -- you can't put much paper in there at all. The in/out ambiguity also results in a situation very similar to the Epson's in the initial paper-catch. It looks like trouble, and finally, today, it proved to be trouble.

Here, in part, is how my "help" session went . . .

Dennis
Welcome to HP Total Care for All-in-One products. My name is Dennis. How may I assist you today?


Bill Walsh
Suddenly my paper feed is becoming very finicky. It says it's out of paper when there's a small stack loaded properly. It says it's out of paper when there's a large stack loaded properly. It says it's out of paper when it has actually accepted the paper.


Dennis
Bill, I understand the issue is with paper feed.


Dennis
Since how long have you been experiencing this issue with your All-in-One?


Bill Walsh
Just now. Fifteen minutes ago. I haven't used the thing all that much, but it has been fine before.


Dennis
Okay, let us troubleshoot the issue with the All-in-One printer.


Dennis
Let us power cycle the All-in-One printer.


Denn is
Please follow the steps below to power cycle your all-in-one: 1. Verify that the unit is switched on. Unplug the all-in-one from power and disconnect the connection port. 2. Wait 30 seconds. 3. Plug in the power only. 4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times. 5. On the third time after plugging the unit into power, reconnect the connection port from the all-in-one to your computer


Dennis
Let me know when you are done with the steps.


Bill Walsh
Thanks for your help. I'll jot that down and try it sometime when I have a week off work.



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com