<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, August 17, 2002

I'M SENSING A PATTERN of pleasant musical surprises in my new-economy sandwich shops. The Cosi at 15th and K has thrilled me several times with nice, quirky selections, but the one example I particularly remember was "Duncan," from Paul Simon's eponymous solo debut (if you'll excuse the annoying rock-critic lingo). That was a few months ago. So then this week, at the Potbelly Sandwich Works at 11th and G, what do I hear but "Fakin' It," from Simon and Garfunkel's "Bookends" album. "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" and "Mrs. Robinson," from those same albums, wouldn't raise anyone's eyebrows, but "Duncan"? (Couple in the next room / Bound to win a prize / They've been goin' at it all night long / I'm tryin' to get some sleep / But these motel walls are cheap / Lincoln Duncan is my name and here's my song / Here's my song.) And "Fakin' It," with its obscure Donovan allusion (Good morning, Mr. Leitch, have you had a busy day?). Very nice.

I'm on a Potbelly kick, by the way, having overexposed my taste buds to Cosi's delights. Both Cosi and Quizno's are coming to my neighborhood, so I foresee some increased frequency at those spots. I know I promised a compare-and-contrast review of sandwich shops, and that will come (hint: Subway sucks. Surprise!), but for now you'll have to settle for a 40-year-old's singer-songwriter nostalgia.




This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com